Thursday, November 5, 2020

Asperger's Syndrome and Musicality

 It probably won't come as too much of a surprise to readers who know me in real life, to hear that although I have not been formally diagnosed, I do believe that I have a form of Asperger's Syndrome. I experience many of the classic signs such as:

  • Love of routine and resistance to change
  • Difficulty in making friends and forming relationships
  • Difficulty in reading social situations and understanding what people are thinking
  • Obsessive interest in specific topics
  • Lack of eye contact
  • Clumsiness
  • Preference for communication via the written word
 I could go on and on! I suppose I have always known that I was a bit 'different', but for the most part it hasn't hampered me too much in life, and it is only in the last 10 years or so that the penny has dropped for me, in a way that makes it so much easier to for me to understand the reason for many of my own preferences and traits, and the impact this has had on my life.

I do believe there is a strong link (for me at least) between my Aspergers and my musical ability. It is well documented that gifted musicians can often be on the spectrum ... apparently people now believe that Mozart was for instance! Music is definitely one of my 'obsessions' - something I connect with on a deep level, and never tire of. Also my lack of social awareness/lack of embarrassment has helped me to not be worried about making a fool of myself in performance etc 

My problem has been that in normal times, getting involved in all things musical is so often a rather social activity. Whether it is learning an instrument, singing in a choir or attending a concert, all these involve interactions with other people. Now when its just about the music, I have no problem with that, and those who may have taught me, or worked in any sort of musical activity group with me, will know that I am never afraid to ask questions and discuss the music. But when it comes to the more 'social' side of musical gatherings - coffee break time, or any other sort of social situation, that's a totally different kettle of fish for me - making small talk is too much like hard work, even with people I have known and worked with for quite some time.

So in many ways 2020 with the Coronavirus lockdowns,  has been quite a blessing for me, musically, in that I have been able to engage in all sorts of new musical activities myself, without having to constantly interact face to face with others.  I have had extra time on my hands (since I moved into semi-retirement) and have had the opportunity to take part in of all sorts of online experiences (joining virtual choirs, recording, performing, interacting with others 'on my own terms' in shared interest groups over the internet, taking courses, experimenting with new music software, composing, arranging, writing blogs etc etc). I have reacquainted myself with lots of long forgotten music theory, and learnt new techniques. I have had the time to develop skills I already had, and learn new ones. All in a safe comfortable environment, where I can get involved with others as much or as little as I want to. This has suited me, as an Aspie, very well indeed, and has probably produced my best work so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tools and Techniques 1. Acapella Maker

 I have written a whole blog about how to use this Android app as there is no User Guide available. It was the first new tool I mastered la...